By Jasmine Franklin
All the hard work and dedication of one Ponoka Legion member has been recognized with a life membership Oct. 3.
Robert Smith has enjoyed every moment of his involvement with the legion.
“Without a doubt this is one of the proudest moments of my life,” he said to the crowd during his acceptance speech at the ceremony.
Smith joined the Fox Creek branch in 1975 and was an honorary member from 1981 to 1999. From 1990 to 2000 Smith was the sergeant-at-arms and from 2000 to 2004 he was membership chairman and poppy chairman. He was also vice-president from 2002 to 2004. Smith has had a number of responsibilities including organizing and conducting Remembrance Day ceremonies and he has been hall manager. He transferred to the Ponoka branch in 2004 where he served as service officer for a short time and became branch president in 2006 and 2007. He has been chairman and poppy chairman for 2008 and 2009.
A number of other awards were given out at the ceremony. Aldred Sande, Robert Morrell and William White received 50-year service pins; and Encana was awarded the branch honorary patron award for supporting the legion and providing it with a projection screen. Gladys Davenport and Lucille McMechan received 55-year and bar service pins from the Ladies Auxiliary.
Service pins went to:
• 25 years: Gary Armagost
• 30 years: Edward Winter, Doug Redding and John Wills
• 35 years: Walter Burchnall, Howard Nichol, Leilah Sharpe,
• 45 years: David Spink Jr.
• 50 years: Aldred Sande, Robert Morrell, William White
• 20 years: William Dillen, Della Fowler, Kelvin Hildebrant, Christine Kawamura, Peter Ling, Charles Patterson, Allan Sande, Paulin Stevens
• 25 years: Darcy Greene, Pearl Sherman, John Witvoet
• 30 years: Dan Churchill, Reg Johnson, Garth Olson, Linda Richard,
• 35 years: George Crowhurst, Gerry Dahms, Joan Dickau, Shirley Hycha, Harold Lawton, Mary Lynne Martens, James Monds
Ladies Auxiliary Service Pins
• 25 years: Edna Cerveny, Marjorie Kinley
• 30 years: Marlene Ferguson
• 35 years: Barbara Greshner
• 45 years: Anne Shelley
• 55 years: Gladys Davenport, Lucille McMechan