Students and teachers with Ponoka Outreach School had one last hurrah before the end of the school Thursday, June 4 with their special awards night at the Ponoka Legion.
The evening was a night to celebrate a year of growth, said acting principal Rob Pearn. “Probably the most important reason is it gives us a chance to recognize the students’ successes over the school year.”
Not only is it a celebration for students, but teachers also get a chance to add a personal touch to their students’ accomplishments. Pearn said sharing in the celebration is an important aspect of the awards night.
Pearn says one of the benefits of the Ponoka Outreach School education program is it lets students learn at their own pace. One student may finish their course in a few months and the other may take the full year to finish. The programming allows for flexibility, explained Pearn.
The awards night is also a time to acknowledge support from sponsors in the community. Some awards recipients are given cash awards as well and Pearn said that sponsorship helps with some of the school’s programming
“We couldn’t do it without our sponsors,” stressed Pearn.
Students, meanwhile, are in full swing of final and diploma exams.
Awards, sponsors and recipients:
• Humanities: Jonathan Gunsch and Lance Mackinaw
• Positive attitude, Scizzor Wizard: Kiera Saddleback, Sophia Moonias and Lee Wildcat
• Perseverance and dedication, Legacy Ford: Caleb Sansalone, Christin Cardinal and Keith Van de Pol
• Personal growth, Pinz Plus: Jasslyne Saskatchewan, Kaplan Saulteaux, Samantha Lysons and Erica Yellowbird
• Independent learner, Adams Pontiac/Buick/GMC: Danica Polson, Melanie Baitinger and Rebekah Stretch
• Determination and tenacity, Ponoka Professional Pharmacy: Shae-Lynn Walcheske, Megan Keeping and Lucrezie Johnson
• Math/Science Award, Calnash Trucking: Thomas Crawford, Ryan Behrens and Tiana Roesler
• Citizenship, Sunlife-Lawrence Hrycan: Lance Mackinaw
• Most improved, Ponoka Chrysler/Jeep: Curtis Rabbit, Jada Crane and Storm Rain
• Positive contribution to school environment, Bruce’s Tru Hardware: Bailey Baden, Dianna Both and Jayde Baumgartner
• Fine Arts, Ponoka Outreach: Danika Hudson-McLeaod, Alissa Washkevich and Shayla Raine.