Jim and Jerry Mark, shown in this photo, both came to Ponoka in the 1940s. Following their marriage in 1948 they began their long and amazing partnership by building the Oasis Motel in 1957 next to their busy Jimmy’s Esso Service Station and 24-hour coffee shop along Highway 2A just south of the Town of Ponoka. In 1968 they added the north addition after purchasing the nearby Trel’s Motel, and together this ambitious couple enjoyed a lucrative business venture that lasted for over 35 years. Along the way they raised their ambitious family of four girls, and were all always very much involved in countless community activities.
Photo courtesy of Fort Ostell Museum