Skate-a-thon to be official outdoor rink kick-off

Anyone looking for a place to be on Family Day can hit the new outdoor rink for a skate-a-thon Feb. 15 to help the Ponoka Kinsmen raise funds to complete the rin

By Jasmine Franklin

Anyone looking for a place to be on Family Day can hit the new outdoor rink for a skate-a-thon Feb. 15 to help the Ponoka Kinsmen raise funds to complete the rink.

“We’re trying to have an official grand opening for the rink where anybody and everybody is invited,” said Ken Groot, one organizer of the event. “It’s an all ages event and we’re hoping to raise money for final touches on the project.”

In addition to Family Day events, the Kinsmen are inviting teams of up to 20, and individuals to collect pledges based of skating laps for the rink between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.

Goals of the event are to welcome the new arena with a formal opening, help fundraise for final additions to the rink and to help clubs/teams fundraise for projects.

“We haven’t done a skate-a-thon in Ponoka for years,” Groot said. “This is something the whole family can take part in and enjoy.”

The event is open to anyone with only one rule: groups and individuals must have one common project to raise money for in mind such as club events, uniforms or tournament entry fees.

With all the funds raised and payable to the Kinsmen, the club will return 70 per cent of what groups and individuals raise to their cause and the remaining 30 per cent will go toward completing the rink.

“(The money) will go toward player benches, player boxes and seating areas,” Groot said.

The group raising the most funds will be awarded with 25 tickets to a Red Deer Rebels home game.

Individual prizes will be awarded.

Organizers will be on ice the entire event, however helmets are required to be worn by all participants.

For more information contact Rick Cline at (403) 588-1957 or Groot at (403) 318-6847.

Just Posted

PHOTOS: Ice racing at Mulhurst Bay at Pigeon Lake

Results of the ice racing event at Pigeon Lake

Maskwacis RCMP lay charges from home invasion

Four charged in alleged invasion using knives and gun on Samson Cree Nation - three injured

UPDATE: Highway 2 lanes were closed due to milk truck fire near Millet

A southbound truck hauling milk and cartons collided with a bridge

Ponoka Airport taxiway improvement costs overrun

The $328,000 project increased to $359,000, gravel cited as main reason for the increase

Ponoka County council looks at how it sees collaboration

County wants separate negotiations with Ponoka, Rimbey

WATCH: Ponoka residents enjoy first skate on ice path

A community initiative helped create a skate path for families in Ponoka.

Suspected Toronto serial killer targeting gay community arrested

A 66-year-old man is charged with first-degree murder in disappearance of two Toronto men

Barenaked Ladies, Steven Page, to be inducted into Canadian Music Hall of Fame

Canadian band to get top honours at 2018 JUNO Awards

B.C. out of the running for Amazon’s next headquarters

Toronto is the only Canadian city left in the running despite the province backing Metro Vancouver’s bid for new Amazon headquarters

Post interest rate hike debt tips

What to do about your debt and mortgages after the interest rate hike

Foreign workers sleeping in Alberta Burger King basement

Alberta Health Services said its inspectors found foreign workers sleeping in the basement of the Lethbridge restaurant

Court application halts release of bread price-fixing documents

Bread price-fixing documents won’t be unsealed Thursday, Loblaw says

Pharrell and N.E.R.D to headline NBA All-Star halftime show

11-time Grammy winner Pharrell and his hip hop-rock band N.E.R.D. will headline the halftime show at the 2018 NBA All-Star game in Los Angeles

Heritage Minister wants zero tolerance for harassment in entertainment industry

Heritage Minister Melanie Joly had two meetings to discuss harassment in the film, TV and theatre worlds

Most Read