Wolfville Community Centre celebrates 100-year-old building

(Photos from the Crestomere Sylvan Heights Heritage book)

(Photos from the Crestomere Sylvan Heights Heritage book)

In 1901, the original Wolfville school was built. But after several mishaps, including the schoolhouse burning down to the ground, Wolfville School was built at its now current location. Construction for the ‘new’ Wolfville School would begin in December 1921.

This one-room schoolhouse would host classes for the Wolfville District until 1953. With the new Crestomere School accepting the local students from the nine districts, the Wolfville School Hall transitioned into the Wolfville Community Centre.

In 1948, Mrs. John Hurley would call a meeting from all the Wolfville District ladies for the purpose of creating the Wolfville Community club. This club would organize recreational activities that supported the engagement and wellbeing of the community.

The original member fee was $0.50 every year with 17 active members present at the first meeting (not including silent members). Over the years, the club would host a variety of events including card parties, dances, ice cream socials, high tea, Christmas concerts and more.

In 1954, the Wolfville Community Club joined with the Wolfville Community Centre. In 1962, electricity was installed into the hall. Water was pumped outside from the well, and community members had the pleasure of using the two built in outhouses. Up until 1972 there were no toilets.

Over the years the community of Wolfville district has shifted, with 14 active members (not including silent members) of the Wolfville Community club. In the spirit of the original club, the current community group meets still hosts a variety of community events including pancake breakfasts, steak nights, and ice cream socials.

The original hall, from 1921 still stands, with its green chalkboard and wooden benches. Today, it looks a little different. A few coats of paints, new wall decorations, white siding, a furnace and new light fixtures. At the heart of this changing landscape in the heartland of Central Alberta is still the smiling faces of the local families that make up Wolfville District.

– Submitted by Morena Stamm