While on patrol Sept. 2, 2021, Wetaskiwin RCMP observed a male walking with what appeared to be an open bottle of liquor in the area of the Wetaskiwin Mall.
When the RCMP officer initiated communication with the male, he ran from police.
A foot chase ensued and during the chase the male threw an item that had been concealed by his clothing into a store. The male was subsequently apprehended and arrested.
The recovered discarded item was found to be a loaded sawed-off rifle.
Traytyn Cole Okeymow, 23, from Ponoka, Alta., has been charged with:
• Possession of a prohibited firearm x4;
• Possession of a prohibited firearm with ammunition;
• Possession of a firearm knowing possession is unauthorized;
• Unauthorized possession of a firearm;
• Carry a concealed weapon;
• Possession of a weapon dangerous to public peace;
• Careless use of a firearm;
• Resisting a peace officer.
After a Judicial Hearing, Okeymow did not speak to bail and was remanded into custody and will next be appearing in Wetaskiwin Provincial Court on Sept. 9, 2021.