Summer is here and the kids are home from school. There are lots of ways to stay active with your children at home. Remember to follow all COVID-19 public health guidelines. And remember that sometimes all it takes is one good idea to get you to be active. Here are a few suggestions.
• Plant a garden and let everyone have their own special section.
• Go for a walk or to a park in your neighbourhood and play Frisbee.
• Plan a family road trip and bring a soccer ball or baseball to use on the way or when you get there. • Walk at night and look for stars.
• Run through the sprinkler or play catch.
• Go on a weekly active outing or walk to a nearby park.
• Go for a bike ride—make sure to wear helmets. • Play catch, hacky-sack or hopscotch in your yard. • Go hiking or camping.
• Make an obstacle course and keep a chart with everyone’s times.
• During commercial breaks while you’re watching TV:
• Run on the spot, do push-ups and sit-ups, or stretch.
• Play catch inside with a foam ball.
• See who can do the most jumping jacks.
• Do household chores—give everyone a task and listen to music while you work.
• Go to an open field and fly a kite.
• Plan a walk every day after supper and keep track of everyone’s steps on a chart.
• Exercise with fitness videos, apps, or TV shows like yoga or aerobics.
• Watch a show as a family and for every hour you watch, be active for an hour.
• Wash your vehicles
– Submitted by Alberta Health Services