Fire ravages home in Bashaw

Two people are without a home in Bashaw following a fire caused in part by a storm

BY JORDIE DWYER AND JEFFREY HEYDEN-KAYE BASHAW STAR

The effects of a storm last week has a pair essentially homeless.

Ian Hansen and Kim March, along with three dogs and a cat, managed to escape after a blaze erupted in their home in the 4600 block of 50 Street in Bashaw.

In speaking with Bashaw Star, Ian said he was watching TV and Kim was taking a nap when he heard a loud bang. Upon inspection of the back porch, he saw a tree bending against a power line under the strength of the wind.

That tree eventually came down, the results of which Ian believes caused the rest of the issues in the home. Then he says he heard a loud bang from the breaker.

“Then all I could hear was a loud humming,” said Ian.

Fire started to engulf the breaker and then started making its way to the walls. In an effort to quell the flames, Ian says he started throwing water bottles on the breaker, an act, he says, which was quite risky. The flames would reduce for a bit, but then would start up again.

It turns out the power was still flowing to the home and there was no way to put out the flames. The Bashaw Fire Department (BFD) didn’t have much choice except to close the door and wait till the power could be turned off.

Ian says by closing the door, it took away the oxygen, which feeds the fire.

A contingent of 15 members of the BFD were called to the scene at 8:30 p.m. Crews were able to eventually extinguish the flames, but the entire interior of the structure was destroyed.

In speaking with the fire department, Ian says throwing water on the running electricity could have caused him an electrical shock. He says he feels lucky there wasn’t anything else that happened. “It was scary,” said Ian.

He added thanks go out to the department and EMS for helping ensure they were safe and received oxygen. The damage has basically destroyed the home.

“On the outside it looks kind of OK, but when you open it up…it’s not good,” explained Ian.

According to Deputy Fire Chief Jordan Lee, the fire was created by the aftereffects of the large thunderstorm and strong winds that came through Bashaw a short time earlier.

“The cause is suspected to be electrical due to the strong wind that blew down a few trees in town. One of those trees landed on a power line to the house,” Lee said.

“The house had lots of smoke damage and crews had to ventilate through all of the windows as well as the roof.”

Because of the location of the home, the fire department had assistance from the Bashaw RCMP in closing down one block in order to battle the blaze. The scene was wrapped up and crews headed back by 11:30 p.m.

Currently the couple and their pets are living in their 19-foot trailer in the yard. Due to being laid off in the winter, Ian had to make some tough decisions. “I had a choice. Do I pay my house insurance or do I pay my mortgage?”

He opted for the mortgage but is left without a way to pay for the damage. Community support has been strong with folks helping out where they can.

A GoFundMe page — www.gofundme.com/kim-ian-bashaw-house-fire-fund — has been started for the couple with a goal of raising $50,000. At press time over $1,300 had been raised.

A trust fund at Servus Credit Union has been put in place as well and folks are pulling together to get the pair pet food and other much needed supplies.

Just Posted

Ponoka town council deemed not liable by judge

Town deemed to be in compliance with borrowing bylaw requirements

PHOTOS: Family Day in Ponoka

Ponoka and area families took in the many fun events on Family Day

Lots planned for Ponoka’s family day

There’s a whole list of fun family events set in Ponoka

Reward offered to find man charged in 2006 murder

RCMP are offering up to $5000 for information leading to the arrest of Kevin Brown

Background checks required for retail cannabis locations

Strict rules and regulations for retail locations was announced at a press conference this morning

WATCH: Ponoka Warriors volleyball host largest ever Family Day tournament

Five divisions, 32 teams participate in 12th annual Family Day tournament

How to keep local news visible in your Facebook feed

Facebook has changed the news feed to emphasize personal connections. You might see less news.

Widow of avalanche victim sues Golden lodge operator

A woman from Alberta is suing guides, their mountain guide association and the lodge operator for negligence

Patrick Brown’s Tory leadership bid fate looms

Brown’s bid to for Tory leadership to be decided on Wednesday

Yelling vulgar slur at reporter not a crime says judge

Judge rules ‘vulgar’ slur against reporter was not a public disturbance

WATCH: Ponoka Warriors volleyball host largest ever Family Day tournament

Five divisions, 32 teams participate in 12th annual Family Day tournament

Ponoka County displeased with no town presence at hearing

An NRCB hearing saw no representation from the Town of Ponoka, setting county council on edge.

Asking questions is key in deterring scammers

Having the ability to say no is one key of Fraud Prevention Month

Students head to Florida capital to press for gun law change

Young protestors are joining a grassroots movement against gun violence in the wake of last week’s school shooting in Parkland, Florida

Most Read