The Ponoka Aquaplex is undergoing extensive maintenance and improvements as part of the Annual Maintenance and Facility Improvement Program at the pool complex.
The annual facility improvement program usually happens in September. However, with the Aquaplex currently closed to the public due to provincial COVID-19 restrictions, town staff are taking advantage of the opportunity to complete the work now to help avoid any service interruptions for facility users once provincial health restrictions are eased and the Aquaplex is able to safely reopen again.
“Once the work is completed, we expect that the improvements being made will dramatically increase people’s enjoyment of the Aquaplex,” said Andrew Jones, recreation coordinator for the Town of Ponoka.
“The new deck improvements alone should make it look and feel like a completely different facility,” said Jones.
The maintenance and facility improvements now underway at the Ponoka Aquaplex include:
- A completely resurfaced and refinished pool deck – The deck upgrades include a durable new thermoplastic coating that will be slip resistant and more comfortable to walk on. The deck will also be re-sloped for optimal drainage and the new surface coating will refresh and brighten the interior look of the building;
- Complete resurfacing and refurbishing of the wading pool – A durable new thermoplastic coating will create a smoother, more comfortable experience for families and children to enjoy the wading pool. New skimmers and anti-entrapment drainage covers in the wading pool will also improve filtration of the water and suction control;
- A new rooftop HVAC unit –The new unit replaces an existing one that has reached the end of its lifecycle. The new HVAC unit will help regulate airflow, temperature and humidity in the facility for greater comfort and user enjoyment;
- New edging around the main pool, deep dank and wading pool – The edging will feature the same durable, anti-slip thermoplastic material as the new pool deck, but in a slightly darker colour to differentiate the edge of the pool for user safety;
- New depth markers around the deep tank and the main pool; and
- Painting and general maintenance throughout the facility.
“These improvements will extend the life of the Aquaplex and will allow us to welcome back our pool users to a bright and newly refurbished facility that citizens can enjoy for years to come,” said Jones.
The Aquaplex improvements are expected to be completed by early spring.
– Submitted by the Town of Ponoka