Ponoka RCMP are investigating a small fire that occurred at the Ponoka Provincial Building Wednesday around lunch.
Along with police, the Ponoka County East District Fire Department were called to the scene where a blue recycle bin appears to have burst into flames.
The building’s fire sprinkler system was set off, which extinguished the fire, and also covered a portion of the main floor.
What was left of the bin was moved outside while RCMP investigated. A small amount of water was left on the floor near the sprinkler that went off.
Ponoka RCMP state that court, which was in session at the time, was evacuated. “The lobby sustained smoke and water damage from the activation of the sprinkler system which was successful in putting the fire out,” say police.
While the matter is still under investigation, police and fire officials remind the public to safely dispose of their cigarette butts.