The Town of Ponoka, in cooperation with Alberta Transportation, is once again implementing its annual traffic control plan to help ensure pedestrian and vehicle safety during the 2022 Ponoka Stampede.
The following traffic control measures will be in effect from Saturday, June 25 to Monday, July 4, 2022:
1. A reduced traffic speed limit of 30 km/hr along Highway 53 – Beginning east of Highway 2A and ending at 46 Street. Effective from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily to accommodate peak traffic hours.
2. A reduced traffic speed limit of 50 km/hr along Highway 2A – Effective from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily to accommodate peak traffic hours – beginning south of 36 Avenue to the intersection of Highways 2A and 53.
3. A temporary Four-Way Stop at Highway 53 and 50 Street – Effective 24 hours daily. Advanced signage will notify motorists east and west of the four-way stop on 50 Street and Highway 53. An access road to the Stampede grounds will be open to traffic at that intersection, making it a four-way stop.
4. Access to Highway 53 will be closed to traffic at 54 Street – 54 Street will remain open to local traffic and users of the Ponoka Arena Complex. However, access to Highway 53 will be blocked to traffic at the south end of 54 Street.
5. RCMP will monitor and help direct pedestrian and vehicle traffic as needed – RCMP personnel will help direct pedestrian and vehicle traffic at pedestrian crossings on Highway 53 during peak traffic volume periods as needed to ensure public safety. Pedestrian crossings along Highway 53 will be clearly marked with signage and lighting.
Ponoka residents are encouraged to consider alternate routes to avoid heavy traffic flows during Stampede week. Please be mindful of temporary traffic controls and signage along Highway 53, Highway 2A and 50 Street and watch for pedestrians during Stampede week.