A temporary road closure is scheduled on Monday, July 17 (weather dependent) on 51 Avenue (between 50 Street and 51 Street) as crews install the final layer of asphalt paving on the roadway.
On July 14, crews were milling the roadway on 51 Avenue in preparation for paving next week.
The Town of Ponoka is reminding motorists to drive with caution in construction zones and observe road signs and traffic safety personnel.
The temporary road closure scheduled for Monday will remain in place until the paving is completed, and the roadway is expected to reopen later in the week.
51 Avenue Redevelopment project update
The work being completed during the temporary road closure is part of the second phase of the 51 Avenue Redevelopment Project, which includes the following improvements to 51 Avenue this year:
– Replacement of the temporary asphalt sidewalks with new permanent sidewalks (completed);
– Redevelopment and design improvements to the municipal parking lot on the south side of 51 Avenue (ongoing);
– The final layer of asphalt paving (scheduled July 17, weather dependent);
– Installation of pedestrian crossings and line painting on the 51 Avenue roadway (in the coming weeks). There will be a temporary road closure to accommodate that work;
– Landscaping, including new shrubs and trees (ongoing); and
– Installation of benches and garbage containers (nearing completion).
During temporary road closures, on-street parking continues to be available on 50 Street and 51 Street, and in the municipal parking lot at 51 Street and 52 Avenue, across from the Ponoka United Church.
Pedestrian access to businesses on 51 Avenue is being maintained throughout the project, including during temporary road closures. Sidewalks remain open on both sides of the street.
Weather permitting, the 51 Avenue Redevelopment Project is expected to be completed by the fall of 2023. For full details and updates on the project, please visit www.ponoka.ca/p/redevelopment-of-51-avenue.