The Town of Ponoka is offering free public skating and swimming on Family Day, Monday, Feb. 20, as well as the opportunity to win a family-sized prize pack.
Enjoy hot chocolate and cookies at the Ponoka Arena Complex during free public skating or while taking in the Ponoka Kinettes’ and Kinsmen’s Skate-a-Thon.
The town will be offering free public skating at the arena (4410 54 St.) from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the small ice.
To help support the Ponoka Food Bank, the town will be accepting voluntary donations of non-perishable food items as admission to the event.
The Ponoka Kinettes and Kinsmen will also be hosting a Skate-a-Thon on the large ice from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. to raise funds for the Ponoka Youth Centre’s summer programming and Cystic Fibrosis Canada.
The public is welcome to sponsor the skaters who are participating by donating a lump sum or sponsoring them per lap.
For more information or to register as a Skate-a-Thon participant and to pick up your pledge envelope, please visit the youth centre in person at 5004 54 St. or call 587-850-5530.
The Family Day fun will continue at the Ponoka Aquaplex (5315, 46 Ave.) with a free “Everyone Welcome” swim from 12 to 4 p.m.
The town will be accepting voluntary donations of non-perishable food items as admission to the event.
Other recreation opportunities
Other recreation opportunities for families on Family Day include:
• Free drop-in access to the golf simulators at the Ponoka Golf Club (3519 46 St. from 1 to 4 p.m. For more information, please contact the Ponoka Golf Club at 403-783-4626.
• Cross-country ski trails at the Ponoka Golf Club. The starting and finishing point is down below the main parking lot near the member cart shed. When skiing, citizens are asked to please stay on the trails at all times. For more information, please contact the Ponoka Golf Club at 403-783-4626.
Other outdoor recreation opportunities include:
• Tobogganing at the Tom Hamilton Memorial Hill, located in the southwest corner of Froman Industrial Park behind Siding 14 Brewery on 36 Avenue.
• Exploring and taking a stroll along the walking trails in Ponoka’s Battle River Valley.
• The Outdoor Rink next to the Ponoka Arena Complex (4410 54 St.). The outdoor lights operate between 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Indoor change rooms can be accessed at the north end of the arena from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
• Ice Skating Trail at Lions Centennial Park (at Highway 2A and 54 Street): The skating trail can be accessed from the north-end gazebo at Centennial Park. Benches and rubber mats have been installed, providing a place to lace up. The trail is for leisurely ice skating only. Hockey is not permitted.
Win a Family Day prize pack
For a chance to win a family-sized prize pack, post a photo on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram of your family participating in a Family Day activity using the hashtag #TownofPonoka or by emailing your photo to email@example.com.
You will be automatically entered in the draw to win a family-sized Town of Ponoka swag prize pack.
To be entered in the draw, all photos must be posted to social media or emailed to Communications on Family Day, February 20.
The winner will be contacted on Tuesday, Feb. 21. All participants will also be contacted by the town for permission to use the photos that are submitted to promote the town and its facilities.