‘You haunt my dreams:’ Sex assault victim confronts ex-nightclub worker in court

‘You haunt my dreams:’ Sex assault victim confronts ex-nightclub worker in court

‘You haunt my dreams:’ Sex assault victim confronts ex-nightclub worker in court

EDMONTON — A woman who was sexually assaulted by a former nightclub employee says he may not remember her, but she will always remember him.

Matthew McKnight, 33, was accused of sexually assaulting 13 women ranging in age from 17 to 22 between 2010 and 2016. He pleaded not guilty, but a jury convicted him in January on five of the 13 counts.

Court heard he met most of the women in bars and assaulted them at his Edmonton apartment.

Two of the victims and four family members, including the sister of a third victim, spoke at the start of McKnight’s sentencing hearing in Court of Queen’s Bench on Wednesday.

One woman, whose name is protected by a publication ban, addressed McKnight directly as she read her victim impact statement.

“You sexually assaulted me,” she said through tears.

“For years, I have been terrified of you. You haunt my dreams and dictate my waking moments.”

She said she hasn’t been able to forget the night he attacked her.

“The bruises you left on my skin faded, but the nightmares … will forever be with me.”

Another woman, who also cannot be named, told court about how her life changed four years, two months and 23 days ago.

“I remember walking into a pub with friends … to waking up in a nightmare that I will have to relive for the rest of my life,” she said. “I still cannot get over the thought of having a stranger inside of me, violating my body.

“I did not want to believe what happened to me was real.”

The woman said she was traumatized by the sexual assault and often wouldn’t leave her house to go for groceries or walk her dog.

“I feared there were other men out there just like you,” she said.

The Crown, which said alcohol and “something else” were used in at least three of the offences, is seeking a total sentence of 22 1/2 years for what it calls “drug-facilitated” sexual assaults.

“These are gravely serious offences and Mr. McKnight’s degree of moral responsibility is high,” said prosecutor Mark Huyser-Wierenga in his opening submission.

“He’s a man who has had a privileged upbringing in many ways.”

Huyser-Wierenga said the judge must “denounce and deter” the vile abuse of the five women.

Justice Doreen Sulyma challenged the Crown’s submission that evidence of drugs had been proven in court or accepted by the jury.

“I don’t think there was evidence of drugs, just evidence of blackouts,” she said.

Huyser-Wierenga said one of the woman only had one drink, which she testified was given to her by McKnight before she blacked out.

“She’s come to and she’s in Mr. McKnight’s bed,” the prosecutor said.

The Crown recommended consecutive sentences, which would be served one after another, because each of the five offences was separate. It asked for two terms of four years, one of 4 1/2 years and two at five years.

Defence lawyer Dino Bottos is to give his submissions Thursday.

The hearing, which is to also to get statements from at least two more of the victims, is to run until Friday.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 8, 2020

Colette Derworiz, The Canadian Press

crime

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Alberta’s chief medical officer of health, Dr. Deena Hinshaw, announced the province surpasses one million COVID-19 tests Friday. (Photo by Chris Schwarz/Government of Alberta)
COVID-19: Central zone active cases up by 100 in last 24 hours

Most central Alberta communities under province’s enhanced measures list

file photo
Wetaskiwin, Maskwacis RCMP search warrant seize drugs; numerous charges laid

39-year-old Wetaskiwin man, Wayne Wiebe charged with 21 criminal code offences.

.
Alberta confirmed more than 1,500 COVID-19 cases Sunday

Central zone active cases slightly up

A nurse gets a swab ready at a temporary COVID-19 test clinic in Montreal, on Friday, May 15, 2020. Health Canada has reversed course on home test kits for COVID-19, saying it will now review applications for such devices. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
Kyle Charles poses for a photo in Edmonton on Friday, Nov. 20, 2020. Marvel Entertainment, the biggest comic book publisher in the world, hired the 34-year-old First Nations illustrator as one of the artists involved in Marvel Voice: Indigenous Voices #1 in August. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson
VIDEO: Indigenous illustrator of new Marvel comic hopes Aboriginal women feel inspired

Kyle Charles says Indigenous women around the world have reached out

Russ and Luanne Carl are sharing about their experiences of fighting COVID-19 this past summer.
photo submitted
Stettler couple opens up about COVID-19 battle

Luanne and Russ Carl urge others to bolster personal safety measures amidst ongoing pandemic

This 2019 photo provided by The ALS Association shows Pat Quinn. Quinn, a co-founder of the viral ice bucket challenge, died Sunday, Nov. 22, 2020, at the age of 37. (Scott Kauffman/The ALS Association via AP)
Co-founder of viral ALS Ice Bucket Challenge dies at 37

Pat Quinn was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig’s disease, also known as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, in 2013

Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada David Lametti speaks with the media following party caucus in Ottawa, Tuesday, January 28, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Exclusion of mental health as grounds for assisted death is likely temporary: Lametti

Senators also suggested the exclusion renders the bill unconstitutional

Claudio Mastronardi, Toronto branch manager at Carmichael Engineering, is photographed at the company’s offices in Mississauga, Ont., Thursday, Nov. 19, 2020. As indoor air quality becomes a major concern in places of business, HVAC companies are struggling to keep up with demand for high quality filtration systems. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young
Business is booming for HVAC companies as commercial buildings see pandemic upgrades

‘The demand right now is very high. People are putting their health and safety ahead of cost’

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau speak to the media about the COVID-19 virus outside Rideau Cottage in Ottawa, Friday, Nov. 20, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Long-awaited federal rent subsidy program for businesses hurt by COVID-19 opens today

The new program will cover up to 65 per cent of rent or commercial mortgage interest

Traffic crosses over the Lions Gate Bridge from North Vancouver into Vancouver on July 2, 2015. Motorists would have to pay a fee to drive into downtown Vancouver under the city's plan to slow climate change but one expert warns it could pose financial hardship for some. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Vancouver’s climate plan ‘first 10 steps in a journey of 10,000,’ says expert

Almost 40 per cent of Vancouver’s carbon pollution comes from vehicles

Alberta has 1,910 active cases of COVID-19 as of Wednesday. Red Deer is reporting five active cases, with 108 recovered. (File photo)
After COVID-related transplant delays, 16-year-old N.S. girl gets lung transplant

‘This is the difficult time now of seeing Tahlia in ICU hooked up to 15 IVs and sedated’

Most Read