Neighborhood Place, haven

A thank you to Ponoka News for the recent article on the crowd funding campaign by Ponoka Neighborhood Place.

Dear Editor:

A thank you to Ponoka News for the recent article on the crowd funding campaign by Ponoka Neighborhood Place.

Our association is so much more than just a place to get free faxing and photo copies. Only 20 per cent of the people through our doors just need copies; the other 80 per cent are here looking for help to maintain a basic quality of life. These people are unemployed or underemployed, homeless or at risk of homelessness. They are on income support or AISH (Assured Income of the Severely Handicapped) and have difficulty communicating their needs to the government offices in Wetaskiwin or Red Deer.

They are women trying to escape abusive relationships or are single moms in need of counselling who need to be linked with the women’s shelter or women’s outreach. They are immigrants brought into our community as foreign workers who need help with their permanent residence applications or to contact the Immigration and Settlement Service or the Immigrant Women’s Society in Red Deer. They are people who need to apply for housing subsidy or to complete an application for Canada Pension. They are people needing Catholic Social Services who have a full-time office here; they are clients of Employment Placement and Support Services who has an office here; they are members of Al Anon who meet here every week. These are the people that Neighborhood Place helps every day we are open.

As executive director I have lived in this community for 15 years and am committed to the people in Ponoka and area but this was never about me and a salary obtained by fund raising. It is about all the people who live here who fall through the cracks. Unfortunately, many of the influential people in town who could help seem to be unaware there is a population out there not as fortunate as them, which has made the work of Neighborhood Place a shadowy, non-public operation just going about the business of helping others.

Keith Williams

executive director,

Ponoka Neighborhood Place Association


Just Posted

Wolf Creek Schools raises Treaty 6 flag for first time

Chiefs, school officials took part in a ceremony that is aimed at acknowledging Treaty 6 land

Pair arrested in Ponoka with several weapons, face 98 charges

Two men nabbed after early morning suspicious vehicle reported, stolen weapons found

UPDATE: 18-year-old Rimbey teen dies in collision

A portion of Highway 53 west of Rimbey is down to one lane while crews investigate

Ponoka County approves $70,000 to dredge Parkland Beach

Parkland Beach to see some dredging support from Ponoka County

Ponoka sets bylaw on cannabis retail, pushes for quick public consumption regulation

Town passes first reading on retail outlet bylaw, questions staff on need to separate public usage

U.S. congressman issues dire warning to Canada’s NAFTA team: time is running out

Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland is expected to resume talks with the U.S.

Ottawa to name new ambassador for women, peace and security, Freeland says

Chrystia Freeland also confirmed Canada would spend about $25 million to fund number of initiatives

‘A little bright spot:’ Ottawa residents rescue dog trapped beneath rubble

Freelance journalist says rescue of a dog trapped under rubble was happy ending amid chaos in Ottawa

VIDEO: Inside an eerily empty mall in Canada

Only nine of 517 retail spaces are open for business as the grand opening postponed to next year

Tens of thousands without power following tornado in Ottawa region

Hydro Ottawa says more than 170,000 customers were without power early this morning

BALONEY METER: Do Liberal policies mean a typical family is $2,000 richer?

MPs took to Twitter to talk how ‘typical’ Canadian families have more money due to Liberal policies

Tornado touches down in Ottawa and Gatineau, Que.

Environment Canada says cars and homes have been damaged by severe thunderstorms and high wind gusts

Tilray Inc sees $10-billion in market cap go up in smoke

Tilray’s share price closed at $123 US on Friday, a decline from its intraday peak of nearly $300 US earlier in the week

Most Read