Government assistance the key to CFL staging abbreviated 2020 season

Government assistance the key to CFL staging abbreviated 2020 season

Government assistance the key to CFL staging abbreviated 2020 season

TORONTO — As the CFL and CFL Players’ Association continue discussing amending their collective bargaining agreement to allow for a shortened season, government funding remains key to football being played in 2020.

And while Canadian Heritage Minister Steven Guilbeault suggested Wednesday in the House of Commons there was no CFL-specific financial aid coming from Ottawa — before clarifying his statement on social media — a source reiterated the league’s latest funding request lies with existing government programs and funding streams.

Earlier this month, the CFL submitted a revised financial request to Ottawa for roughly $42.5 million in aid. In April, it asked the federal government for up to $150 million in assistance in the event of a cancelled 2020 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

But another source said following the CFL’s initial specific-funding request, it was directed by Ottawa to investigate other existing programs. In June, CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie spoke before an Ontario committee on finance. He is also a co-chair of the Professional Sport Council established by Ontario sports minister Lisa MacLeod.

The sources were granted anonymity as neither the CFL nor government have indicated details of their financial assistance discussions.

The CFL’s latest request will most likely require co-operation from the six provinces its franchises operate within. That’s because Ottawa is dealing with the league’s offer via the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC), which is a federal agency but also a crown corporation, meaning the federal government can’t mandate financial assistance for the CFL.

The BDC is essentially a bank with lending criteria and the CFL is unlikely to qualify given its current financial state — Ambrosie has stated the league lost collectively upwards of $20 million last season. To secure financial assistance — essentially a loan — the league would likely require the Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and B.C. governments to provide some kind of guarantee on any aid, something a source said Ottawa is trying to help facilitate.

But that could be an issue for Ontario, which has three league franchises — Toronto, Hamilton and Ottawa. MacLeod has stated no CFL-specific funding is on the table and there are many other sectors within the province also requiring assistance.

But while Ontario is playing hardball in terms of financially supporting the CFL in 2020, the five other provinces haven’t made similar statements. And if a scenario exists where Ontario is the lone dissenter, provincial/federal negotiations could help make the loan terms more palatable.

On Wednesday, MP Kevin Waugh (PC, Saskatoon-Grasswood) asked Guilbeault in the House of Commons if the $42.5 million in government assistance for the CFL was forthcoming. The Heritage minister didn’t come out and say no directly, but stopped well short of guaranteeing the financial aid.

“We understand that for many Canadians, professional sport is a facet of their daily life and we certainly respect that,” he said. “Through Sport Canada, our government funds amateur and youth programs across the country.

“Sport Canada does not provide funding for profit-independent leagues or those outside of Football Canada’s mandate. We encourage organizations in need of assistance to talk to their financial institution and to see what options are available to them.”

That prompted Waugh, a former sports journalist, to quip: “So I take it then, Mr. chair, the answer would be no to the Canadian Football League?”

Later, Guilbeault tweeted: “That would be wrong since we are in fact in discussion with the #CFL.”

The CFL and CFLPA continue to negotiate amendments to their collective bargaining agreement that would allow for a shortened season. Prior to the start of talks last month, the league was reported to have set a deadline of Thursday to adopt health-and-safety protocols, secure acceptable federal funding and agree to terms on an extension of the CBA past its present 2021 expiry date. However, the deadline is now set for Friday.

Ambrosie has stated the earliest an abbreviated campaign would begin is September but that a cancelled season also remains possible.

On Tuesday, the CFL announced Winnipeg would be its hub city if a 2020 season were to be held, pending final approval from Manitoba public health and safety officials. While that step, along with an amended CBA, are necessary for an abbreviated season to begin, the harsh reality is government assistance is critical for the league to get on the field this year.

The new request covers operating costs and player salaries for a shortened campaign. It also includes a letter of support from the CFLPA.

If the CFL can put itself in position to stage a partial season, that would leave government as the lone remaining hurdle to football being played. Essentially, the league must first show the provinces it’s able to return to play safely and give them a solid reason to extend any guarantees for funding.

The CFL’s naming of Winnipeg as its hub and ongoing CBA talks — which are tentatively scheduled to conclude Thursday — are integral parts of securing funding. That’s because the costs associated with both must be fixed as part of the application process.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 22, 2020.

Dan Ralph, The Canadian Press

CFL

Just Posted

Police officers and their dogs undergo training at the RCMP Police Dog Services training centre in Innisfail, Alta., on Wednesday, July 15, 2015. Mounties say they are searching for an armed and dangerous man near a provincial park in northern Alberta who is believed to have shot and killed a service dog during a police chase. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
RCMP search for armed man in northern Alberta after police dog shot and killed

Cpl. Deanna Fontaine says a police service dog named Jago was shot during the pursuit

Alberta now has 2,336 active cases of COVID-19, with 237 people in hospital, including 58 in intensive care. (Black Press file photo)
Red Deer down to 73 active cases of COVID-19, lowest since early November

The Central zone has 253 active cases of the virus

People line up to get their COVID-19 vaccine at a vaccination centre, Thursday, June 10, 2021 in Montreal. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Ryan Remiorz
Vaccines, low COVID case counts increase Father’s Day hope, but risk is still there

Expert says people will have to do their own risk calculus before popping in on Papa

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is seen during a joint news conference following the EU-Canada Summit, in Brussels, Belgium, Tuesday June 15, 2021. Trudeau says Canada is on track now to have 68 million doses delivered by the end of July, which is more than enough to fully vaccinate all 33.2 million Canadians over the age of 12. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Vaccine deliveries enough to fully vaccinate all eligible Canadians by end of July

Three in four eligible Canadians now have their first dose, nearly one in five fully vaccinated.

Chief Public Health Officer Theresa Tam listens to a question during a news conference, in Ottawa, Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2021. The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases attributed to the highly contagious Delta variant grew in Canada this week. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Canada’s public health agency reports spike in confirmed cases of Delta variant

More than 2,000 cases of the variant confirmed across all 10 provinces and in one territory

The federal government says it wants to ban most flavoured vaping products in a bid to reduce their appeal to youth. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Craig Mitchelldyer
Health Canada proposes ban on most vaping flavours it says appeal to youth

If implemented, the regulations would restrict all e-cigarette flavours except tobacco, mint and menthol

The Montreal Police logo is seen in Montreal on Wednesday, July 8, 2020. Some Quebec politicians are calling for an investigation after a video was released that appears to show a Montreal police officer with his leg on a young Black man’s neck during an arrest. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
Probe called for after video appearing to show Montreal officer’s knee on Black youth’s neck

Politicians call for investigation after clip evokes memories of George Floyd incident

Thousands of protesters make their way through the downtown core during a Black Lives Matter protest in Ottawa, Friday June 5, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
MPs’ study of systemic racism in policing concludes RCMP needs new model

Chair of the House public safety committee says it’s time for a reckoning on ‘quasi-military’ structure

A case filled with packages of boneless chicken breasts is shown in a grocery store Sunday, May 10, 2020, in southeast Denver. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-David Zalubowski
One million chickens euthanized during labour dispute at Quebec slaughterhouse

Premier says waste amounts to 13 per cent of the province’s chicken production thrown in the garbage

A section of the eastern slopes of the Canadian Rockies is seen west of Cochrane, Alta., Thursday, June 17, 2021. A joint federal-provincial review has denied an application for an open-pit coal mine in Alberta’s Rocky Mountains, saying its impacts on the environment and Indigenous rights aren’t worth the economic benefits it would bring. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh
Panel says Grassy Mountain coal mine in Alberta Rockies not in public interest

Public hearings on the project in southern Alberta’s Crowsnest Pass region were held last fall

The border crossing into the United States is seen during the COVID-19 pandemic in Lacolle, Que. on Friday, February 12, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
U.S. border restrictions to remain in place until at least July 21

Safety minister says Canada, U.S. extending restrictions on non-essential international travel

Most Read